Verissimus: The Stoic Philosophy of Marcus Aurelius is a new graphic novel from author Donald Robertson, with stunning artwork from award-winning illustrator Zé Nuno Fraga, published by St. Martin’s Press. It tells the story of Marcus Aurelius, based on the surviving Roman histories, and interweaves Stoic philosophy from his personal notes The Meditations.
Verissimus was number one Hot New Release in Amazon’s Greek and Roman Philosophy and was chosen as as an Amazon Editor’s Best History Book. The hardback and ebook editions are now available from all good bookstores (ISBN: 1250270952). Check out these reviews from our readers.
- “Donald Robertson is one of my favorite writers about Stoicism.” – Ryan Holiday, #1 New York Times bestselling author and founder of The Daily Stoic
- “A superb graphic novel that provides stunning insights into one of the most interesting figures of antiquity, as well as into the philosophy that guided him throughout his life.” — Massimo Pigliucci, author of How to Be a Stoic
- “Whether you’re new to Marcus Aurelius or already know him as a friend and guide, this graphic novel will open your eyes… Author and artist have found… a brilliant combination of entertainment and education.” – Robin Waterfield, translator of Marcus Aurelius and Epictetus
- “Verissimus represents the vanguard of the next phase of the ongoing Stoic renaissance.” – William B. Irvine, author of A Guide to the Good Life
- “A remarkable work that is awesome in its conception and execution.” – Karen Duffy, author of Backbone: Living with Chronic Pain without Turning into One and Wise Up
- “This is a wonderful and engaging introduction to the life and thought of Marcus Aurelius… It’s the perfect book for anyone who wants to learn more about the man behind the Meditations.” – John Sellars, author of Lessons in Stoicism
- “Donald Robertson continues to be my teacher when it comes to the depth of Stoicism… Invaluable!” – Mo Gawdat, author of Solve for Happy: Engineer Your Path to Joy.