My name is Donald Robertson. I’m the course designer and site admin, as well as your course facilitator. I’m a member of the Stoicism Today team responsible for Stoic Week. I’m Scottish by birth, lived in England for about twenty years, but now live in Nova Scotia, in Canada.
I’m a cognitive-behavioural psychotherapist and the author of several books and articles on Stoicism, including:
- The Philosophy of Cognitive-Behavioural Therapy: Stoic Philosophy as Rational and Cognitive Psychotherapy (2010)
- Teach Yourself: Build your Resilience (2012)
- Teach Yourself: Stoicism and the Art of Happiness (2013)
I’m also a contributor to the following collections of articles on Stoicism:
- ‘Stoics are not unemotional’ and ‘A simplified modern approach to Stoicism’ in Stoicism Today: Selected Writings: Volume 1 (2014)
- ‘Providence or atoms: Atoms! A defence of being a modern Stoic’ in in Stoicism Today: Selected Writings: Volume 1 (2016)
- ‘The Stoic influence on modern psychotherapy’ in the Routledge Handbook of the Stoic Tradition (2016)
My interest is in the application of Stoicism to modern living for emotional resilience-building and well-being. I became interested in Stoicism after completing my first degree, in philosophy, at Aberdeen University in Scotland.
Feel free to contact me directly if you have any questions about the course content or technical issues with the site. My personal blog Stoicism and the Art of Happiness contains a lot of additional information about Stoicism.
Free Email Course
Sign up today for our free email course on The Meditations of Marcus Aurelius. You'll receive weekly emails with my commentary on this classic Stoic text.