I’m pleased to announce that in December 2019, Routledge will be publishing the revised second edition of my 2010 book The Philosophy of Cognitive-Behavioural Therapy (CBT): Stoic Philosophy as Rational and Cognitive Psychotherapy.
It will be available in both hardback (ISBN 9780367219871) and paperback (ISBN 9780367219147) formats. The content has been thoroughly revised, with hundreds of small changes, and a whole new chapter, discussing the comparison between Stoicism and modern third-wave cognitive-behavioural therapy (CBT). You can order it online from Routledge, The Book Depository, Amazon, and all other good bookstores. See also Google Books and Goodreads for reviews and other information.
Table of Contents
- Foreword to First Edition by Prof. Stephen Palmer
- Introduction: Philosophy & Psychotherapy
- Part I: Philosophy & Cognitive-Behavioural Therapy (CBT)
- The “Philosophical Origins” of CBT
- The Beginning of Modern Cognitive Therapy
- A Brief History of Philosophical Therapy
- Stoic Philosophy & Psychology
- Rational Emotion in Stoicism & CBT
- Stoicism & Ellis’ Rational Therapy (REBT)
- Part II: The Stoic Armamentarium
- Contemplation of the Ideal Sage
- Stoic Mindfulness of the “Here & Now”
- Self-Analysis & Disputation
- Autosuggestion, Premeditation, & Retrospection
- Premeditatio Malorum & Mental Rehearsal
- Stoic Fatalism, Determinism & Acceptance
- The View from Above & Stoic Metaphysics
- Stoicism and the Third-Wave
- Conclusion: Fate Guides the Willing
- Appendix 1: An Example Stoic Therapeutic Regime
- Appendix 2: The View from Above Script
Stoic Therapy Toolkit
Five-page summary of key Stoic ideas and practices for self-improvement.
Subscribe to download my Stoic Therapy Toolkit (PDF) free of charge, and receive your email newsletter.